Wednesday 26 April 2017

Super easy vegie layered tortilla casserole

It was a Saturday.  We had been to the Fitzroy Market (sampling amazing chocolate passionfruit cakes), the pool and the supermarket.  By the time we got home, we were tired, hungry and in need of of food.  I had a packet of tortillas and wanted to use them for a casserole.  I googled an idea, found a recipe and altered it slightly.  It was easy and excellent.

I loved this recipe because it just required mixing everything in a bowl rather than having to cook a sauce first.  Then it was a matter of popping it in the oven and collapsing on the couch in front of Brave.  I didn't plan to blog it, as you might see in the above photo quickly snapped before serving.  But I loved it so much that I took pictures the next day.

This is the sort of easy dinner recipe I need at the moment.  I have less time than ever for meals.  Being able to throw dinner together is fantastic.  Just as good is coming home to leftovers.

I am sending this casserole to Meat Free Mondays.

Super easy layered tortilla casserole
Adapted from Veg Kitchen
Serves 4-6

400g tin kidney beans or black beans, rinsed and drained
400g tin brown lentils, rinsed and drained
400g tin corn kernels, rinsed and drained
400g tin diced tomatoes
2 spring onions, finely sliced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
hot sauce, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
8-10 tortillas* (I used wheat, corn would be good)
1 1/2 cups grated cheese* (I used mozza, vegan would work)

To serve:
Salsa
Guacamole
Yoghurt or sour cream

Preheat oven to 200 C* and grease a 23cm round casserole dish.

Mix beans, lentils, tomatoes, corn kernels, spring onions and spices.  Add hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste.  Layer tortillas, the bean mixture and the cheese (2 or 3 layers) until you have the last layer of tortillas, beans and cheese (in that order).

Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling on top and the tortillas are just starting to crisp up at the edges.

*NOTES: I didn't have a whole tin of kidney beans so I topped them up with some chopped bbq tofu.  I used wheat tortillas but I am sure corn tortillas would work.  I used mozzarella cheese but vegan cheese would work, except that it would be less likely to be golden and bubbly on top.  I had my tortillas overlapping with one whole tortilla and then chopped another tortilla up and arranged around the whole one to fit.  I baked mine at 220 C because my oven is so slow.

On the stereo:
Going Blank Again: Ride

9 comments:

  1. Your casserole appeals even to a committed meat-eater like me!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the perfect end for those tortillas Johanna! I've made a meat version and called it a cake. Because I like the ida of cake for dinner :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had some corn tortilla's sitting in the cupboard for a few weeks and have been trying to decide what to do with them! This looks yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This casserole looks amazing - I'd like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really does look excellent - and just the thing for after a busy weekend day. It reminds me of the stacked quesadillas I like to make, but haven't made for a while. Due a revamp in this format perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dish is perfect for lunch/dinner! I love how easy it is to make too ��

    ReplyDelete
  7. So appreciate that your are busy, yet find time to blog. My blogging is dwindling too. I have a similar recipe bookmarked, its from a magazine cutting. I need to give it a go when there is not much food in on the offering after work as I often have most ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This reminds me a little of a tortilla stack that I make (although it is made with minced beef). Maybe I should try making a veggie version..... yours sounds lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy moly that looks good! And I love how simple it sounds.
    "I loved this recipe because it just required mixing everything in a bowl rather than having to cook a sauce first. Then it was a matter of popping it in the oven and collapsing on the couch in front of Brave."
    That sounds like my idea of supper haha ;) I'll definitely be trying this out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)